Off Eastern Ave at Kennett Street Garage, Silver Spring, MD 20910
“Cousins” public art project is conceived to echo the highest aspects of the Silver Spring community, combining an elegant, Eastern-inspired visual language with sayings from wisdom masters from a variety of ethnicities, religions, geographic regions and time periods. Fusing words representing the highest aspirations of humankind (taken from great humanists such as Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandela, the Buddha, etc.) with specially created paintings, Cousins is on 15 large, 8’ x 4.5’ art and text panels along the Kennett Street Art Wall, transforming the alley space into a huge art gallery, available to local denizens everyday. The panels provide quiet, surprising moments to be discovered (for free!) by people from all cultures while going through the motions of their normal day. This project would use South Silver Spring’s diversity as an asset by emphasizing not only the different cultures in the community, but also how they positively interrelate.
Artist: Tom Block
Commissioned by the Montgomery County Public Arts Trust with support from the Silver Spring Urban District.
Cousins is located on the drive from the Kennett Street Garage to Eastern Avenue.
Nearby Restaurants & Dining:
- Subway (149 feet SE)
- Crisfield Seafood Restaurant (869 feet E)
- Moorenko's Ice Cream (883 feet NE)
- TIRAMISU Bakery Cafe (893 feet SE)
- Laco Melza Ethio Cafe (905 feet SE)
- Woder Ethiopian Carryout & Market (923 feet SE)
Nearby Shopping and Services:
- Extra Space Self Storage (349 feet NW)
- Discovery Creative and Technology Center (579 feet NE)
- Independence Federal Savings Bank (597 feet SE)
Nearby VanGo Stops:
Nearby Public Transportation:
- Greyhound lines Inc. (0.36 miles NE)