Designed to serve as a center for creative planning, park development and environmental stewardship, SilverPlace will feature a new consolidated headquarters for the staff of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) in Montgomery County.
As a model of design excellence featuring a mix of uses, SilverPlace also will provide outstanding public spaces, housing, and environmentally sensitive design in the Silver Spring Central Business District.
Learn more about the outcome of a week-long series of community design workshops (charrettes), held in early June. A spacious public garden populated with mature oak trees led the list of popular choices.
We would like to thank the neighbors, business community and others for participating in the workshops. More than 100 people collaborated in designing a plan that meets the goals and objectives established by the Montgomery County Planning Board.
The proposed design for the 3.24-acre site includes a 135,500 square foot Montgomery regional headquarters, approximately 305 housing units with underground parking, and a village green that will retain existing mature oak trees. The charrette team -- Torti Gallas and Partners, Smith Group and Michael Vergason Landscape Architects --will work through the summer to add definition and technical detail to the plan that emerged from the charrette process.
* Consolidate the park and planning agency to serve the public more efficiently
* Create a mixed-use development compatible with the adjacent neighborhoods that serves as a model of design excellence and best development practices
* Provide housing to serve a range of incomes including a minimum of 30 percent affordable and median-income housing
* Create outstanding indoor and outdoor public spaces for the public
* Establish a project that meets or exceeds the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards for Gold Certification
* Ensure wise transportation management, safe pedestrian circulation, and adequate parking
* Reduce public costs for the new Montgomery Regional Headquarters by leveraging the value of the Commission’s land through the use of a public/private/partnership
8787 Georgia Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Public Buildings and Community Services
Condominiums - Planned