Release Date: December 1,2014
FUN FOR THE HOLIDAYS
- Ice skating in Veterans Plaza: Go for a spin or two - or three!... enjoy the sights and sounds of Silver Spring while you ice skate the night away... (Have you seen the little penguins to help children skate? Simply adorable!) More HERE.
- Holiday Classics at the American Film Institute: See full line-up of Holiday movies for the whole family HERE.
- Second Thursday Monthly Community Dance! (SECOND THURSDAY MONTHLY COMMUNITY DANCE IN SILVER SPRING IN THE GREAT HALL OF THE SILVER SPRING CIVIC BUILDING) Thursday, December 11, 2014 – 7:00-10:00pm (workshop 7:00-7:30pm) On Thursday, December 11, 2014, starting at 7:00pm, the Great Hall of the Silver Spring Civic Building (One Veterans Plaza) will be filled with the sound of music rendered by the renowned Terpsichore band (Liz Donaldson on keyboard, Elke Baker on fiddle, Alex Lacquement on bass) -- plus a large flock of dancers who will take their cues from dance caller Shannon Dunne. Dancers of all ages are welcome. No need for a partner and no experience necessary. The Second Thursday Dances are presented by Carpe Diem Arts c/o Class Acts Arts, in collaboration with the Folklore Society of Greater Washington (FSGW), and in partnership with Montgomery County’s Department of Recreation as part of Ike Leggett’s “BE ACTIVE MONTGOMERY” initiative. The dances are made possible in part by the Community Access Pilot Program, c/o Community Use of Public Facilities, with in-kind support from Silver Spring Town Center, Inc. See full press release HERE. See flyer HERE.
- Give Local this Holiday Season: This holiday season, Fenton Street Market will provide two unique ways to shop in Silver Spring. During the month of December, FSM will operate HOLIDAZE: a pop-up shop inside Pyramid Atlantic. And, on Saturday, December 20 from 9am to 3pm, FSM will host its third annual outdoor Holiday Market on Veterans Plaza in downtown Silver Spring. HOLIDAZE is a new venture that will combine the quality locally-made products shoppers expect from the market with the convenience of an indoor shop. The first of its kind in Silver Spring, the shop will feature curated products from regular FSM vendors, all local makers and artists. Shoppers will be able to find presents for everyone on their lists: screenprinted posters, locally-designed sweatshirts, crocheted animals, handmade jewelry, fair trade coffee, organic bath products, hand thrown ceramic bowls, and much more. HOLIDAZE will host workshops and parties, so shoppers can make their own gifts - as well as enjoy the holiday season. HOLIDAZE will begin with an opening night party on December 4 and close on December 23. The shop will be open from noon to 8pm on the following days: December 4-7; December 11-14; December 17-23.... More HERE
- Downtown Silver Spring Holiday Happenings HERE. (Carols and performances every Saturday... PLUS lots of opportunities to enjoy and gift!)
- Takoma for the Holidays HERE. (Pajama party anyone?... PLUS much more news on the upcoming Busboys and Poets, etc.)